This plan covers our long range vision for guiding growth, development, and change for the next 20 years.
2040 Comprehensive Plan
The City of Brooklyn Park is in the process of updating its current Comprehensive Plan. State law requires a municipality within the seven-county metropolitan area to review and, if necessary, revise its comprehensive plan every ten years.
April 2017 to January 2018
Community engagement and plan development
March to April 2018
Planning Commission public hearing
City Council directs plan be sent to public and regional partners for review
June to October 2018
Public and regional partners review.
Consider comments. Edit, modify and finalize document.
December 10, 2018
City Council considers plan
Submit Comprehensive Plan to Met Council
What will be in the plan?
When complete, the 2040 Comprehensive Plan will include vision statements and goals and policies for each chapter.
Vision and goals
The vision for the 2040 Comprehensive Plan is based on the community goals outlined in Brooklyn Park 2025.
The 2040 Comprehensive Plan update will include chapters on:
- Land use
- Surface water management
- Parks, trails and open space
- Water supply
- Sanitary sewer
- Economic development
- Mississippi River Critical Area
What will the plan do?
- Create and sustain elements that define the city’s character, heritage, and identity
- Influence the economic health of the community by attracting new investment and guiding it to proper locations
- Protect existing investments through the promotion of strong residential neighborhoods and business districts
- Build upon and use the hopes and visions for the City that have been established in the Brooklyn Park 2025 community plan
2030 Comprehensive Plan