We’re excited to have you as a member of our community!
About our city
With a population of more than 86,000 people and 30,000 jobs, Brooklyn Park is the sixth-largest city in Minnesota and the fourth largest in the metropolitan area. We are a community that believes our residents are our strongest asset and the key to making Brooklyn Park thrive and prosper.
Nestled along the Mississippi River, Brooklyn Park features almost 2,000 acres of parkland, two golf courses and 120 miles of trails for outdoor enthusiasts. We are also home to a community center which features a gymnasium, two hockey rinks, meeting rooms, racquetball courts and a senior center.
Brooklyn Park has a residential housing stock that fits into just about every budget. We also have a unique mix of retail, commercial and industrial businesses.
We make sure the needs of residents always come first. As part of our Community Engagement Initiative, we always make residents and stakeholders primary when it comes to important decision making. It is our mandate to consistently work to engage Brooklyn Park residents to make sure diverse viewpoints are shared openly and honestly.
We are a proud and active community with numerous youth, adult and senior organizations, including important citizen boards that enrich our community. With all this, there is no question, Brooklyn Park is a thriving community inspiring pride where opportunities exist for all.
Our vision, values, and goals
Brooklyn Park, a thriving community inspiring pride where opportunities exist for all.
Core operational values
Ability to work within the city’s values system where individuals are valued and respected for their unique differences, experiences, skills and knowledge.
We value all people and diverse ideas.
- Cultural competency
- Address economic, geographic and racial inequities
- Include the people affected in decision-making
- Engagement is part of our DNA
We build trusting partnerships.
- Working within and between departments
- Partnering with residents and community stakeholders
- Open and honest communication
We are accountable for our actions and results.
- Ethical decisions
- Personal and professional responsibility
- Responsible stewardship of the community’s resources
- Excellent service and results
We learn and improve each day.
- Continuous improvement and innovation
- Opportunities for learning and training
- Thriving employee culture and learning environment
- Professional and personal growth
Brooklyn Park 2025
What do we want Brooklyn Park to be like in the year 2025? The Brooklyn Park community came up with Brooklyn Park 2025, a plan for the future of Brooklyn Park.
About the plan
While the City of Brooklyn Park is working to accomplish this plan through clear, measurable steps, BP2025 isn’t just a plan for City Hall. It’s a plan for our entire community.
We know many of these goals aren’t in the power of city government. We need your help. Every adult, youth, business, school, and organization can contribute to make these goals a reality. Let’s put our resources together to make Brooklyn Park a thriving community, inspiring pride, where opportunities exist for all.
1: A united and welcoming community, strengthened by our diversity
- We have connected neighbors who understand and celebrate our unique cultures.
- Brooklyn Park is unified with a strong positive identity and image.
- Our community’s activities, events and services are inclusive, multi-cultural, and accessible.
- We have places and spaces for diverse communities to gather.
- Residents of every age contribute to our community.
2: Beautiful spaces and quality infrastructure make Brooklyn Park a unique destination
- Modern transportation options (drive, ride, walk, bike) connect people to education, jobs, and recreation.
- Quality recreation and park amenities inspire activity for all ages and interests.
- Our rich diversity is showcased through our vibrant music, arts, food, entertainment, and cultural scene.
- Attractive key corridors, corners, and city centers create destinations that meet community needs.
- Quality and well-maintained housing for all ages and incomes are integrated throughout the community.
3: A balanced economic environment that empowers businesses and people to thrive
- People of all ages and backgrounds enjoy financial stability.
- Residents and visitors support an abundance of retail stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Our business environment inspires private investment and job growth.
- Businesses and organizations of all types, sizes and specialties start, stay and grow here. (e.g. local networks and resources support businesses)
- We are a leader in environmental sustainability, benefiting our economy and community.
4: People of all ages have what they need to feel healthy and safe
- Neighborhoods are empowered and supported by strengthened positive relationships with police.
- Youth are engaged in positive and quality experiences.
- Aging adults have services and amenities to thrive and age in place.
- Everyone has access to quality healthy food options.
- People have access to quality medical and emergency care.
5: Partnerships that increase racial and economic equity empower residents and neighborhoods to prosper
- Each resident has access to the training and support needed to get and keep a living wage job. (e.g. Job skills training, childcare)
- Each student graduates high school with a pathway to college or career. (e.g. Pre-k, rec programs, BrookLynk)
- Aging neighborhoods and commercial centers are revitalized through continuous investment.
- The community provides necessary supports and services for community members to overcome life challenges such as hunger, mental illness, and homelessness.
6: Effective and engaging government recognized as a leader
- The City provides quality services at a reasonable cost.
- Elected officials, commissions, and city staff reflect the diversity of the community and are culturally competent.
- City information is clear, accessible, and delivered in ways that meet the community’s needs.
- City laws are understandable, equitably enforced, and relevant to the community.
- The City is well-managed and recognized as a great place to work.
Getting to work
The City is coordinating with other organizations and community members on what everyone is working on.
For the city’s part, we have project teams and plans around short-term priorities and projects. Each department has business plans around Brooklyn Park 2025, so we’re all working toward achieving the goals.
You can help!
Come to our monthly Brooklyn Park Community Assembly or sign up for emails.
Get creative about how you, your family, your neighborhood or organization can help achieve the Brooklyn Park 2025 community goals.