Skip to Main Content

Zoning and Land Use

Land use and zoning laws involve the regulation of the use and development of real estate. The most common form of land-use regulation is zoning. Zoning regulations and restrictions are used by the city to direct and control the development of property within our borders.

Variance to zoning code

In some instances, a variance is one component of the development process and other applications may be necessary.

A variance to the Zoning Code is required to provide relief to a property owner when the strict enforcement of the zoning regulations for lot size, setbacks, parking requirements, etc., imposes practical difficulty on or denies the property owner the reasonable development of the land. Use variances are not permitted by state law. Financial considerations are not justified for variances.

The following is an overview of the typical 60-day application process.

Zoning text amendments

Occasionally, the Zoning Code does not anticipate changes in technology or innovations in design.

The city’s Zoning Code, Chapter 152, establishes standards for development within the community. Uses, site design, and building design requirements are listed for each zoning district and city-wide standards are also established. Occasionally, the Zoning Code does not anticipate changes in technology or innovations in design. Sometimes property owners would like to do something with their properties that is not currently allowed. In these cases, a change to the Zoning Code is necessary.

The following is an overview of the typical 90-day review process.

Zoning and land use maps

Brooklyn Park has interactive maps for zoning and future land use.

Zoning Map

Zoning letter request

Zoning letters are often requested by lenders or real estate professionals looking for verification that a proposed use of a property is acceptable per the zoning code.

To request an official zoning letter, please provide us a list of the questions that you want answered. We do not provide any calculations (parking, hardcover, etc.) for the site nor do we conduct a site inspection.

You may request copies of Certificates of Occupancy (CO) and any applicable approval resolutions. However, these documents may not be available given the age of the property. The Hennepin County Recorder’s office may have approval resolutions recorded against the property that would show up in your title search.

The cost of this service is $100.00—please make check payable to City of Brooklyn Park and mail the check and zoning letter questions to:

City of Brooklyn Park
Attn: Planning Division
5200 85th Ave N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443