Skip to Main Content

Building Permits and Inspections

Contractors and homeowners

We are accepting permit applications and plans for commercial and residential properties Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. It is strongly encouraged to submit your permit application and plan by email to We are also accepting dropped off, faxed, or mailed permit applications and plans.

Fax: 763-493-8171

Mailing Address:
City of Brooklyn Park
Attn: Building Inspections Division
5200 85th Ave N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443

Permits for contractors

Residential permits

All permits for residential water heaters, water softeners, roofing, siding, and windows must be applied for online.

Search for permit/inspection history >

Apply for online permits >

Instructions for using e-permits (PDF) >

Commercial permits

All commercial permits must be applied for in person or through the mail.  City Hall is open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (excluding certain holidays). 

City Hall

5200 85th Ave N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443

Permits required

To see the permit fees, click here (PDF) >

Permits are required before most construction projects begin. Permits issued by the City include the list below.

Building Permit Application (PDF) >

Mechanical Permit Application (PDF) >

Plumbing Permit Application (PDF) >

Sewer and Water Permit Application (PDF) >

Sign Permit Application (PDF) >

Demolition Permit Application (PDF) >

Moving Permit Application (PDF) >

If you are unsure whether a project requires a permit, contact one of these groups.

Permit type Who to contact
Building Brooklyn Park Building Inspections
Electrical Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Fire protection Brooklyn Park Fire Department

Permit application and plans

A permit application and two sets of plans should be submitted well in advance of the project start date. You may download permit application forms by clicking on one of the tabs listed above. Building code and submittal informational handouts can also be found to the right. Some projects do not require plans to be submitted, such as residential siding and roofing. For submittal questions, contact the Building Inspections Division.

Phone and email

Building Inspections Division
Fax: 763-493-8171
Email the Building Inspections Division


You will be given an inspection card when you obtain your permit. The inspection card will list the inspections needed for your project, along with the phone number to call to schedule inspections. Always schedule as far in advance as possible to insure you receive the inspection date and time you desire.

Scheduling inspections

Always have the job site address and permit number available when calling to schedule an inspection. To schedule an inspection call:

Inspection type Who to contact
Building, mechanical, plumbing and sewer/water Brooklyn Park Building Inspections
Electrical Andy Sloth
Schedule inspections
Monday through Friday, 7:00 to 8:30 a.m.
Fire Brooklyn Park Fire Department

Licensed contractors

A building contractor, remodeler or roofer license is required by the Minnesota State Department of Labor and Industry for anyone who contracts directly with a homeowner to provide building construction services in more than one skill area. The eight special skills categories are excavation, masonry/concrete, carpentry, interior finishing, exterior finishing, drywall/plaster, roofing and general installation specialties.

Roofers are required to obtain a license.

More information on licensing requirements can be found here.  


As a home owner, if you decide to apply for a building permit yourself, you will be acting as the “owner/builder.” By taking the permit out yourself, you become the general contractor. You assume all legal liabilities for the job, including workers’ compensation insurance, state and federal withholding taxes, permits, scheduling and a number of other responsibilities.

Contractor Consumer Information

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry has a number of tips and useful information in regards to hiring a contractor for your construction project. Information that can be found on their website includes searching for a licensed contractor, hiring tips, home warranty disputes, and compensation through the Contractor Recovery Fund.

Tips for hiring a contractor

Plumbing License

Plumbing contractors must be licensed by the State of Minnesota per MSBC Chapter 4715. Plumbers need to provide a copy of the license to the city.

Mechanical License

Download the mechanical license (PDF) >

Or obtain a mechanical license from the City Building Official.

Sign Hanger License

Download the sign hanger license (PDF) >

Or obtain a sign hanger license from the City Building Official.

Sewer and Water License

The contractor must be licensed through The State of Minnesota as a plumber or pipe layer.

Resources and guides

Visit the State’s Construction Codes and Licensing website

Informational handouts

Accessory Structures (PDF) >

Basement finishing guide (PDF) >

Escape and rescue opening and window wells (PDF) >

Fences (PDF) >

New Construction – One & Two Family Residential (PDF) >

Residential decks (PDF) >

Residential reroofing (PDF) >

Residential Survey Requirements (PDF) >

Residential swimming pools (PDF) >

Residential vinyl siding-new homes and residing (PDF) >

Three or four season porch (PDF) >