Serving on a commission is a great way to provide input and discuss important issues with your fellow residents.
Have you always wanted to get involved in city government? Would you like to provide valuable input on important issues affecting Brooklyn Park? Do you feel a need to give back to your community? If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, you should consider applying for a seat on a Brooklyn Park city commission!
Commissions in Brooklyn Park
Click on any of the commissions listed below to learn more about them.
- Planning Commission
- Recreation and Parks Advisory Commission
- Budget Advisory Commission
- Human Rights Commission
- Community Long-range Improvement Commission
- Charter Commission
- West Mississippi and Shingle Creek Watershed Management Commission
- Northwest Suburbs Cable Communications Commission
Other committees in Brooklyn Park
Click on any of the committees below to learn more about them and how to get involved.
- Business Forward Advisory Board
- Economic Development Authority
- METRO Blue Line Extension Business Advisory Committee
- Community Advisory Team
- Multicultural Advisory Committee
Current openings – Annual Recruitment
Budget Advisory Commission
Community Long-range Improvement Commission
Human Rights Commission
Recreation and Parks Advisory Commission
Applications due by January 31, 2020.
Applications for all commissions are accepted any time. Staff will contact you when an opening occurs where you have expressed an interest.
Applying to become a commissioner
Applications for all commissions are always welcome! Commission applications are kept on file for one year. As openings occur, applicants are notified of openings and invited to participate in the commission interview process.
Apply online at the link below or download the PDF version of the application here >
The City Council appoints the commissioners, except for the Charter Commissioners, which are appointed by the Chief Judge of Hennepin County District Court.
Your role and duties as a Brooklyn Park commissioner
The purpose of City of Brooklyn Park Commissions is to give residents the opportunity to give their opinions and recommendations on the work of city government. The boards also serve as advisory groups for the City Council.
Boards and Commissions are expected to support the City Council and serve at the discretion of council members. It is important that every commissioner read your particular board or commissions’ bylaws at the beginning of your term.
Your duties as a commissioner are to:
- Investigate matters within the scope of the particular commission you are part of or as directed by the Council.
- Advise the Council by communicating the viewpoint or advice of the Commission
- Hold hearings, receive evidence, conduct investigations and make recommendations to the Council about the matters within your commission’s scope.
- Attend scheduled meetings or let the staff liaison know if you will be absent.
- Prepare in advance of meetings (e.g. read agenda packet carefully prior to the meeting) and be familiar with issues on the agenda.
- Be considerate of fellow members, their opinions and be respectful of other people’s time
Commissioners should not:
- Direct the work of city staff.
- Speak for the commission unless authorized by your fellow commission members or by the City Council
- Take responsibility for financial performance of any city facility or program.
All commissions operate in an advisory role to the City Council.