This commission reviews our City Charter, proposes changes, and make recommendations to City Council as needed.
In 1969, the City became a Home Rule Charter City. We are one of 107 cities governed by a Home Rule Charter.
Brooklyn Park is governed by the City Charter, which is the “constitution” of the city. The Chief Judge of Hennepin County District Court makes appointments.
Eleven members who represent the city at-large.
|Name||District representing||Term ends|
|Alabi, Sunday||At-large||May 31, 2022|
|Bor, Barbara||At-large||June 1, 2022|
|Fufa, Teferi||At-large||May 31, 2022|
|Hultquist, John||At-large||June 1, 2022|
|Mabera, Susan||At-large||May 31, 2024|
|Otieno, Beatrice||At-large||May 31, 2022|
|Secara, Dennis (Chair)
Send email >
|At-large||May 31, 2024|
|Simmons, Scott||At-large||May 31, 2024|
|Szach, Gregory||At-large||May 31, 2024|
|Williams, David||At-large||May 31, 2024|
|Woods, Shanna||At-large||May 31, 2022|
To get contact information on a Commissioner, please email the staff liaison below.
Roles and duties
The Charter Commission is for you if you think reading laws is interesting and love details:
- Study the City of Brooklyn Park’s charter and make recommendations to the City Council if improvements are needed
- Determine if the city’s charter guidelines are keeping up with the needs of the community
- Periodically reviews the Charter and recommends necessary amendments to the city council that does not conflict with state law
- Has the authority to submit proposed amendments to the voters
- Addresses election issues, Mayor and Council powers and procedures, taxation and finance procedures; and miscellaneous provisions related to the officials newspaper, acquisition and sale of property and other general provisions
Apply to become a commissioner
Applications are always welcome! Applications are kept on file for one year. As openings occur, applicants are notified of openings and invited to participate in the commission interview process.
Four years. No term limits.
Meets the second Wednesday of every month, 7:00 p.m.
Time commitment (approximate)
Three hours per month