Skip to Main Content

Connect to City Utilities

Here’s how to connect your development to our utilities.

When is a utility tap permit required?

An utility tap permit is required when a contractor wants to connect to an existing city utility, i.e. sanitary sewer, water or storm sewer.

Utility tap permits are not required for connecting to existing stubbed utilities, however, a sewer and water permit from the Building Inspections Division is required.

Who may apply for a utility tap permit?

A bonded and insured contractor who will be performing the utility tap.

Applying for a permit

  1. Apply for a permit online or stop by City Hall and get an application at the Engineering Division counter.
  2. Construction plans signed by a professional engineer are required for utility tap connections for a planned commercial building. This is typically the civil or site plan drawing.

Requirements for utility tap connections

Tap Requirement
Storm Sewer Core-drill connection
Watermain Wet tap
Sanitary Sewer Core-drill and outside drop or intraflow inside drop

Insurance and bonding requirements

These requirements are detailed in the permit application packet:

  • Bond requirement: $5000 for work within the City of Brooklyn Park right of way
  • Insurance requirement: general liability/business auto – $1,500,000 and workers compensation

Permit fees

Permit Fee
Utility tap $150.00 each tap
Street cut $85.00 each cut
Curb cut $85.00 each cut

Excavator and Operators Notice and Minnesota State Law information

View the Excavator and Operators Notice and Minnesota State Law Chapter 216D.03 to 216D.07 document here.