Well maintained properties increase property values and decrease crime and vandalism.
What is property maintenance?
Property maintenance includes keeping your property clean, safe, and in good condition. Vacant homes and structures must also be kept clean, safe, and secured.
Types of exterior maintenance
- All exterior surfaces must be maintained in good condition.
- All exterior surfaces must be properly sealed and painted to prevent rusting, chipping, fading or rotting.
- Exterior walls must not have holes, breaks or rotting material.
- Windows must be free of cracks, breaks or holes.
- Swimming pools and fences must be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition and in good repair.
Examples of exterior surfaces
- Window frames
Not allowed exterior conditions
Between May 15 and October 15, every outside opening including doors and windows must have tight fitting screens.
Do I need address numbers on my house?
Yes. This is to help police and fire personnel find your home in case of an emergency.
House numbers must be:
- Attached to your house
- At least 6 inches in height
- A contrasting color to your house color
- Clearly seen from the street
- Your roof and flashing must be installed to prevent entry of rain, snow, hail, etc.
- Shingles, roof drains, gutters, and downspouts must be in good condition.
- Roof drainage cannot discharge onto neighboring properties.
Not allowed roof conditions
Deck, porch, stairway and balcony
- Exterior decks, porches, stairways, and balconies must be kept structurally sound and stable.
- They must also be maintained to prevent excessive chipping/peeling paint or rotting wood.
Allowed deck conditions
Not allowed deck conditions
Driveways, walkways, or parking spaces
All driveways, walkways, stairs, or parking spaces must be kept in good condition free of large cracks, holes or tripping hazards.
What if I want to build a shed or accessory structure?
- Accessory structures more than 200 square feet must get a permit.
- Accessory structures include detached garages, storage sheds, gazebos, etc.
- They cannot be located in the public right-of-way and must be at least five feet from neighboring property lines.
- They cannot be placed in your front yard.
- Additional setbacks are required for corner lots.
- Properties are only allowed two accessory structures (detached garages are included).
- Finish materials and colors must be coordinated with the house and maintained in good condition.
Allowed shed condition
Not allowed shed condition
Report a property maintenance violation or if you have questions
Phone and email
Code Enforcement and Public Health
Email Pang Yang
Si usted necesita asistencia en español, llame
Yog koj tsis tau tau es yuav lub Hmoob hu