We offer a variety of fitness classes in the daytime and evenings offered for adults.
How to enroll:
- Pay at the front office of the CAC
- Sign waiver and enrollment
- Swipe your card at the front desk before class
- Sign your name on the attendance sheet at each class
Daytime fitness classes
- One calendar month pass ($35)
- SilverSneakers, RenewActive, Silver & Fit Membership**
**Yearly enrollment required
Evening fitness classes
Evening classes are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Hatha Yoga, Tuesdays at 5 or 6 p.m.
- Hatha Yoga Thursdays at 6 p.m.
- Register for the session online
Class descriptions and activity levels
Fitness participants must pre-register for a class session. All classes have a maximum of 24 participants, no drop-ins will be allowed. Health insurance reimbursement programs (SilverSneakers, Silver&Fit, RenewActive & $35/mo) can be used for daytime classes only. Please register by phone 763-493-8333, at the Community Activity Center front desk or online for the class(es) you will be attending.
Check the daytime monthly schedule posted in the Community Activity Center for class changes and no dates! All classes are located at the Community Activity Center.
This scale is an approximate guide to the activity level of a class or trip. The scale is based on the level of activity and physical ability needed to perform the activity. If you are unsure if a class or trip is right for you contact us.
Daytime Active Older Adult classes
Bring a water bottle to class and wear a mask & tennis shoes. Class will be held inside the Community Activity Center.
Intensity level: 1
Classic is designed to increase muscular strength, range of movement and improve activities for daily living. Hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles and a SilverSneakers ball are offered for resistance. A chair is used for seated exercises and standing support and class can be modified depending on fitness levels. A chair will be provided and sanitized before and after class. Equipment will be checked out to class participants. Each participant will clean their equipment and bring to class each week. Instructor: TBD Min 10 / Max 24 per class.
Intensity level: 2
Get ready to move through a complete series of seated and standing yoga poses. Chair support is offered so you can perform a variety of seated and standing postures designed to increase flexibility, balance and range of movement. Restorative breathing exercises and final relaxation will promote stress reduction and mental clarity. This class is suitable for nearly every fitness level. A chair will be provided and sanitized before and after class. Instructor: Stephanie Min 10 / Max 24 per class.
Intensity level: 3
Strengthen the body and add stability in your joints using basic pilates moves and balance exercises that focus on abs, back, hips and glutes. A fusion of light weights, bands and balls to mimc daily functions may be incorporated for pain prevention, balance and toning. Ending with a final relaxation stretch. Equipment will be checked out to class participants. Each participant will clean their equipment and bring to class each week. Please dress lightly in non-baggy clothes, must bring a personal yoga mat, sweat towel and water bottle to class. Instructor: TBD Min 6 / Max 14 per class.
Intensity level: 4
Perfect for active older adults who are looking for a modified Zumba class that recreates the original moves at a lower-intensity. The class introduces easy-to-follow Zumba choreography that focuses on balance, range of motion and coordination. Come ready to sweat and prepare to leave empowered and feeling strong! The class focuses on all elements of fitness: cardiovascular, muscular conditioning, flexibility and balance. Instructor: Stephanie Min 10 / Max 24 per class
Intensity level: 4
A heart-healthy cardio class to energize your active lifestyle using low-impact movements that focus specifically on building upper-body and core strength plus cardio endurance. Equipment will be checked out to class participants. Each participant will clean their equipment and bring to class each week. Instructor: Mon-Stephanie, Thurs-TBD Min 10 / Max 24 per class.
Evening fitness classes
Learn to use breath to de-stress and focus your mind, while stretching and strengthening your whole body. Each class includes balancing, stretching, chest and hip opening, ab strengthening and a peaceful final rest. Designed for the beginner to intermediate student: individual poses are presented with deliberate cues and modifications to ensure a safe, fun, challenging, yet achievable class for all. Please dress lightly in non-baggy clothes, must bring a personal yoga mat, yoga block, sweat towel and water bottle to class. Instructor: Tues-Julie T, Thurs-Sabrina Min 6 / Max 14 per class.
Fitness room and walking track
Can’t make it to our classes? That’s okay! The Community Activity Center (CAC) has a fitness room and walking track that you can visit any time during business hours.
Fitness Room Cost:
$15 for a 30-day calendar pass or $3 per day.
Adult Program Guidelines
While meeting, MN Department of Health and Center for Disease Control guidelines do need to be followed. Please read the guidelines below for details of attending an in-person program. It is crucial we continue to take steps to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to collectively protect our community. COVID- 19 is a highly contagious disease that is sometimes fatal, especially for older adults and those with underlying health conditions. We do NOT recommend that you attend if you are in the high-risk category for contracting COVID-19. All participation is at your own risk.
- Participants must pre-register for a class
- No drop-ins will be allowed
- If you do not attend a class for more than 2 consecutive weeks, you will lose your place and someone from the waitlist will be added on
- Register online at www.brooklynpark.org/registration by phone at 763-493-8333 or in person at the Community Activity Center, 5600 85th Ave N
Before you attend:
- Take the at home Health Screening
- If you have any symptoms consistent with Covid-19, stay home, stay away from other people, and contact your health care provider
- If you do not have any symptoms, determine if it is in your best interest or the best interest of those you live with to attend
- Pack a bottle of water or 2!
- Do not bring food to share
- Bring your own supplies and equipment, unless noted in program description
When you arrive:
- Do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to your class time
- Wear a mask covering mouth & nose
- Use hand sanitizer (supplied on site)
- Check in at class with attendant to verify self-screen and track class attendance
- Practice social distancing, use indicators on the floor
- Do not touch your face
- Wear a mask covering mouth & nose (mask may be removed when exercising)
- Cover coughs and sneezes into your elbow, not into your hand or out in the open
- Hand sanitize as needed
- Do not share equipment
- Please depart the area immediately at the conclusion of class
- If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19 contact your health care provider
- If you go in for a COVID-19 test please do not attend any classes until after you have a negative test result
- If you do receive a positive COVID-19 test, please call the CAC so we can notify others you were in contact with (763-493-8333)