Skip to Main Content

DMV is now offering services by Secure Drop Box OR by appointment only. Call 763-493-8191 to make an appointment. Learn About Accessing City Services

Close Notice

Veterans Preference

The City of Brooklyn Park awards preference points to qualified veterans and spouses of deceased or disabled veterans.

Qualifying for veteran’s preference

Applicants must:

  • Have served on active duty in any branch of the armed forces of the United States
  • Have been honorably discharged
  • Be a citizen or resident alien of the United States

Your military service must be certified by the United States secretary of defense as active military service and a discharge under honorable conditions must be issued by the secretary.

Supporting documentation for veteran’s preference

Applicants claiming preference must supply:

  • DD214 form showing years of service and type of discharge
  • Disabled veterans must also supply official documentation from a service retirement board indicating compensable service connected disability

Spouses applying for preference points

Veteran’s preference may be used by the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran and by the spouse of a disabled veteran who, because of the disability, is unable to qualify.

Spouses must provide:

  • Their marriage certificate
  • The veteran’s DD214 showing years of service and type of discharge
  • FL21-802 or death certificate

Awarding veteran’s preference

We will award you veteran’s preference if you:

  • Meet the minimum qualifications
  • Complete the veteran’s preference sections of the employment application
  • Provide the supporting documents by the stated application deadline