The City of Brooklyn Park awards preference points to qualified veterans and spouses of deceased or disabled veterans.
Qualifying for veteran’s preference
- Have served on active duty in any branch of the armed forces of the United States
- Have been honorably discharged
- Be a citizen or resident alien of the United States
Your military service must be certified by the United States secretary of defense as active military service and a discharge under honorable conditions must be issued by the secretary.
Supporting documentation for veteran’s preference
Applicants claiming preference must supply:
- DD214 form showing years of service and type of discharge
- Disabled veterans must also supply official documentation from a service retirement board indicating compensable service connected disability
Spouses applying for preference points
Veteran’s preference may be used by the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran and by the spouse of a disabled veteran who, because of the disability, is unable to qualify.
Spouses must provide:
- Their marriage certificate
- The veteran’s DD214 showing years of service and type of discharge
- FL21-802 or death certificate
Awarding veteran’s preference
We will award you veteran’s preference if you:
- Meet the minimum qualifications
- Complete the veteran’s preference sections of the employment application
- Provide the supporting documents by the stated application deadline