You can keep honeybees in Brooklyn Park with an approved registration.
- The number of hives allowed is based on the size of the property; a typical residential lot is allowed 2 hives.
- Any hive on the property must be setback at least 10 feet from the property line.
- If a hive is located closer than 25 feet to the property line, a flyway barrier is required.
- The beekeeper applying for the registration must have attended a beekeeping class from an accredited Minnesota institution.
The City will notify all residents living within 200 feet of the property line of a proposed apiary (beekeeping) site when an application is received.
All apiary locations will be shown on a public information map.
Registrations are valid from April 1 through the following March 31 and must be renewed each year.
Apply for an apiary registration
Submit a completed registration form with the following:
- The owner and beekeepers information
- A sketch of the property showing the location of the hives, water source, setbacks and flyway barrier (if required)
- A copy of the certificate of completion of a beekeeping course
- A one-time registration fee of $75.00
Map of bee hives