We conduct general inspections on all commercial businesses in Brooklyn Park. The Fire Department Inspection/Investigation Division is under the direction of the city’s fire marshal. Day-to-day operations are led by the deputy fire marshals.
Fire permit applications
The fire department processes permits for fire protection systems, cooking exhaust cleaning, firework sales and more. See additional city permits here.
Installation and modifications to fire protection systems, such as fire sprinklers/suppression systems, fire alarms, and cooking suppression systems require a permit. Certain operational activities such as temporary tents/canopies, firework sales, above or below ground fuel storage, gas cylinder storage, and fuel dispensing operations also require a permit. To get started, apply online and submit your project documents. Plan review staff will examine the project and approve before a permit is issued. Projects not needing a plan review need only to submit the scope of the project and any technical documents (i.e., cut sheets) of items to be installed. Projects requiring a plan review include the following:
- Fire sprinkler/suppression system installation/modification of 10 or more sprinkler heads
- Fire alarm installation/modification of any new or upgraded items (City of Brooklyn Park required a UL Certificate for fire alarm systems: City Code 93A.04(E))
- Cooking suppression system installation/modification
- Fuel tank installation or removal
- Tent/canopy over 400 square feet (enclosed) or 700 square feet (open on all sides)
- Fireworks sales (in-store and outside)
- Gas cylinder storage (permit requirements vary based on quantity and type(s) of gases)
- New or modified fuel dispensing operations
Contact the Fire Marshal Division at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
This is a list of frequently used hood cleaners in Brooklyn Park.
|A & L Lakes Cleaning LLC AKA Lakes Hoods and Vent Cleaning||612-308-5761|
|Alpine Diversified Service Inc||763-497-4186|
|Brothers Industrial Cleaning||651-731-9134|
|Red Star Services||888-225-0816|
|Torres Hood Cleaning||612-275-8889|
The Brooklyn Park Fire department conducts origin and cause investigation on all fires that occur within Brooklyn Park. Investigations are performed by professional, internationally certified fire staff. Investigators attend regular trainings to exceed industry minimum standards to best assist our community after a fire.
Arson tip hotline
If you have information regarding the setting of any fire, contact the Arson Hotline at 1-800-723-2020. Rewards of up to $1,000 are offered for information leading to the identification of persons responsible.
Request a fire report
Fire reports are available to homeowner’s, insurance personnel and other related parties and are generally available 72 hours after the fire.
- Hazardous Material Inventory Statement (PDF) >
- General Fire Safety Self-Inspection Checklist (PDF) >
Request an environmental assessment
Environmental assessments are available on commercial properties as part of a sales transaction and indicate the general safety conditions at the site.