Skip to Main Content

Home Businesses

Make sure you know our local regulations about running your home business.

Home business canning jars

What are the first steps in starting a home business?

  • All home businesses must register with the City.
  • Registrations must be renewed each year.
  • Registrations must be submitted and approved by the City.
  • Registrations are not transferable between persons or places.

Taking care of your business and neighborhood

  • Businesses must not change the residential character of the neighborhood.
  • A home business must not disturb neighboring properties.
  • Handling and use of hazardous materials is restricted.
  • Client and customer parking must meet the city code.

Can I have a sign?

  • Yes, but only one sign is allowed for each home business.
  • Signs must not be larger than two square feet in area.
  • Signs must be 20 feet back from the property line.

Can I have employees?

  • Yes, but only one employee is allowed that doesn’t live inside the home.
  • All other employees must be occupants of the home.

What can I sell or service can I provide?

  • Products must be made on-site only.
  • Products produced off-site cannot be sold.

Examples of acceptable home businesses

  • Salon
  • Tax preparer
  • Massage
  • Home office
  • Handmade crafts
  • Photography
  • Daycare
  • Tailor or seamstress

Where am I allowed to store my products?

  • All materials, equipment, parts or supplies related to the business must be stored inside.
  • Food/beverage businesses may require a commercial kitchen.

For more information on what types of food can be produced at home go to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture website.

See Cottage Food Law >

Helpful tips for business deliveries

  • Traffic and parking needed for deliveries must follow the city code.
  • Deliveries must be made by vehicles that typically service residential areas.

Can I have a business at my home to repair vehicles?

  • No. Vehicle repair is limited to repairs of your own vehicles that can be completed in a 24-hour period
  • Vehicle painting is not allowed in residential areas.

Can I sell my vehicles?

  • Only two vehicle or equipment sales are allowed each year.
  • Vehicles must be registered to a current resident or owner of the property.
  • Vehicles must be parked on a paved driveway surface.

Apply for a home business license

See home business licenses >

Phone and email

Pang Yang
Code Enforcement and Public Health
Email Pang Yang

Si usted necesita asistencia en español, llame

Yog koj tsis tau tau es yuav lub Hmoob hu

Register your business name

Register with the Secretary of State

Permit to collect and remit tax

If you sell retail items that are taxable, you must get a Minnesota Sales and Use Tax permit from the Department of Revenue.

Get tax information from the Minnesota Department of Revenue >

Register your cottage food business

See Department of Agriculture cottage food producer registration >


Free business advice is available to Brooklyn Park residents.

See Starting or Expanding a business – consultation >

Helpful resource directory

Read the Minnesota Small Business Resource Guide (PDF) >