Learn what our plans are for this riverside park.
Park description and current use
River Park is located on the east boarder of Brooklyn Park and lies on the banks of the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River Regional Water Trail. River Park is a host site for Rec on the Go programs from June to August and special events throughout the year.
- 1 restroom building
- 2 picnic shelters
- 1 playground
- 2 tennis courts
- 1 full basketball court
- 1 sand volleyball court
- 1 boat launch
- Paved trails (1.68 miles)
- Natural interpretation area (self-directed)
All amenities are currently rated in good condition. There are significant erosion issues along the river bank. Currently the storm water is not pretreated before entry to the river.
Acquisition or developed date
Future considerations for the park
- Create walking loop—create better connections between the north and south portions of the park
- Create trail connections from West Mississippi Regional Trail to park (81st and 83rd)
- Improve water access from river to park—canoes, kayaks, etc. Support paddle share program. Create safe harbor for non-motorized boats.
- Restore shoreline, low trail, with a combination of hardscape and softscape design applications
- Expand wooded/riparian habitat
- Open views to the river with selective clearing/removal of invasive species
- Create new trail connections/overlooks to river edge
- Create opportunities for shore fishing (fishing pier and/or platform)
- Add kitchen to existing shelter
- Add new park building/picnic shelter on south side
- Expand parking to accommodate expanded gathering space on south side of park
- Gathering space for families/picnic overflow
- Multi-purpose field space
- Incorporate nature play within riparian area and near new building to the south
- Create treatment train system that is a park amenity and educational opportunity to handle existing untreated stormwater
- Incorporate interpretation and educational opportunities in prairie restoration area.
- Add additional overlooks on the north side of park
Phone and email
Email Brad Tullberg