River Park is a beautiful 41-acre community park located on the eastern border of Brooklyn Park on the banks of the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River Regional Water Trail.
Note: Due to construction, we will not be accepting facility rentals for River Park in 2021
About River Park
- 1 restroom building
- 2 picnic shelters
- 1 playground
- 2 tennis courts
- 1 full basketball court
- 1 sand volleyball court
- 1 boat launch
- Paved trails (1.68 miles)
- Natural interpretation area (self-directed)
Project funding source
The master planning, design development and redevelopment of River Park is being funded through the Open Space, Land Acquisition and Development (OSLAD) fund.
Some of the goals for River Park are:
- Create walking loop—create better connections between the north and south portions of the park
- Create trail connections from West Mississippi Regional Trail to River Park (81st Avenue and 83rd Avenue)
- Improve water access to the Mississippi River from the park, support the paddle share program and create safe harbor for non-motorized boats.
- Create stormwater treatment system that is a park amenity and educational opportunity to handle existing untreated stormwater
- Restore shoreline and lower river trail, with a combination of hardscape and softscape design applications
- Expand wooded/riparian habitat
- Open views to the river with selective clearing/removal of invasive species
- Create new trail connections/overlooks to river edge
- Create opportunities for shore fishing (fishing pier and/or platform)
- Add kitchen to existing shelter
- Add new park building/picnic shelter on south side
- Expand parking to accommodate expanded gathering space on south side of park
- Multi-purpose field space
- Incorporate nature play within riparian area and near new building to the south
- Incorporate interpretation and educational opportunities in prairie restoration area.
- Add additional overlooks on the north side of park
|May 2018||Begin community engagement for River Park|
|May 2019||End community engagement for River Park|
|September 2019||Begin design development for River Park|
|February 2020||Advertise for bids for River Park redevelopment|
|April 2020||Award bid for River Park redevelopment|
|May 2021||Construction at River Park begins|
|July 2021||Construction at River Park ends|
On Monday April 14, 2020, the Brooklyn Park City Council awarded the bid for River Park redevelopment to Rosti Construction in the amount of $2,597,349.
Rosti Construction will begin moving equipment into River Park during the week of May 18, 2020. During construction the paddle share program and boat launch off 83rd Avenue will remain open for use.
The picnic shelters at River Park will be closed for use in 2020. Access to the south end of the park off 81st Avenue will also be closed for all of 2020 once construction begins.