Information about our police investigators and the work they do.
Detectives assigned to this unit work on personal and property crimes and they use a variety of tools to identify and locate suspects. They perform many duties to build their case, some of which include:
- Take formal statements of victims, witnesses and suspects
- Prepare and carry out search warrants
- Prepare and present photographic line-ups
- Assist in processing crime scenes and analyzing evidence of various types and forms
Deputy Chief Mark Bruley oversees the entire Investigations Division.
Inspector Marcus Erickson oversees the three major components of the Investigations Division which are General Investigations, Safe Streets and the Juvenile Unit.
Sergeant Roushar supervises the General Investigations Unit. The unit is primarily responsible for investigating most types of crimes that are reported to the Department, including misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors and felony offenses.
Sergeant Nordan supervises the Safe Streets Unit. The unit is primarily responsible for investigating street level narcotics offenses and other livability crimes within the City of Brooklyn Park. Sgt. Nordan also oversees the two detectives that work in multi-jurisdictional task forces with a focus on violent crimes and narcotics. Those task forces include the Hennepin County Violent Offender Task Force and the Northwest Metro Drug Task Force.
Sergeant Knoblauch supervises the Juvenile Unit. This unit:
- is responsible for investigating crimes involving juvenile offenders and engaging youth in positive interactions and building relationships
- is comprised of seven School Resource Officers assigned to the schools within the City and three additional detectives that are responsible for community engagement and juvenile case follow-up
- includes two officers that teach D.A.R.E. in our elementary schools
- includes one Community Engagement Officer that works with community groups and department members to identify and solve public safety problems and organize programs and activities that help build positive police-community relations