Explore a career in law enforcement! The Police Explorer program is a job exploration program for teens and young adults ages 14 to 21 who may be interested in learning more about the field of law enforcement.
Job and life skills
You will learn about:
- Officer safety
- Proper procedures
- Variety of laws and ordinances
- Training for the regional and national competitions
Who can join?
The Police Explorer program is a job exploration program for young adults ages 14 to 21 who have completed 8th grade and may be interested in learning more about the field of law enforcement.
The meetings are held at the Brooklyn Park Police Department every Tuesday night from 7 to 9 p.m. starting around early to mid-September and go until the end of April.
Every year, the explorers prepare for regional competitions. We will help you prepare for the 13 different events that you may draw during these competitions.
- Shoot/don’t shoot
- First aid
- Interview and interrogation
- Traffic stops
- Traffic accident
- Crime scene
- Hostage negotiation
- Bomb threat
- Burglary in progress
- White collar crime
- Crime prevention
- Search and arrest
National competitions are held around the U.S. every two years. This is a chance for the explorers to learn about law enforcement on the local, state and national levels.
You will be able to attend seminars with law enforcement agencies such as:
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Secret Service
There will be demonstrations involving these agencies. The entire conference is centered around the explorers. During your free time, explorers get the chance to site see.
We also do fundraisers to defer some of the cost of the different events that we participated in such as the regional and national competitions. We have participated in such events as:
- Assist with visiting neighborhood parties at the annual National Night Out event in August
- Assist with the parking lots at the Tater Daze Festival in Brooklyn Park
- Assist the 3M Golf Tournament held in Blaine
- Sell poinsettias and popcorn in the fall
- Help the Osseo and Crystal VFW in Fish and Steak Fry’s
- Assist with traffic control around Palmer Lake for the St. Alphonsus’ Marathon
- Participate in the Adopt-A-Park program in which we have adopted Hamilton Park
- Help paint K-9 training equipment for the Brooklyn Park K-9 program
- Police and fire mock demonstrations at the State Fair during Public Safety Day
- Brooklyn Park Public Safety Open House
Applying to become a police explorer
Registration for this years explorer post is currently closed. You can still fill out the information below and you will be contacted in August 2020 with information about the first night to attend.