About 25% of our garbage is organic material that could be composted.
Benefits of composting
Compost is organic matter such as fruit and vegetable scraps or garden waste that has been broken down and can be used as fertilizer. Some benefits of composting:
- Great fertilizer for growing fruits, vegetables and herbs
- Regenerates poor and/or depleted soils and increases water retention
- Reduces erosion
You can purchase a backyard composting bin at the Hennepin County Drop-off Facility in Brooklyn Park. Bins are 3′ by 3′ by 3′ and made of cedar and wire mesh.
Organic material can be recycled for free at the Hennepin County Drop-off Facility! Materials accepted include:
- All food scraps – including meat, bones and dairy
- Food – soiled and non-recyclable paper including napkins, paper towels, and delivery/takeout cardboard pizza boxes
- BPI-certified compostable plastic utensils, cups and containers
- Other items including coffee filters, ice cream and corn dog sticks, and uncoated paper plates
Materials must be in BPI-certified compostable bags and there is a five bag limit per person per day.
Drop-off location and hours
Hennepin County Drop-Off Facility
8100 Jefferson Highway N.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
View map and directions to Hennepin County Drop-Off Facility
|Tuesday through Saturday||9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.|
|Holidays||The facilities are closed:
Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
Phone and email
Email Hennepin County Environmental Services