Explore a career as a firefighter!
Who we are
Exploring is a way to promote the fire service among young men and women between the ages of 14 and 21. These Explorer posts are part of The Learning for Life Program, which is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. They are designed to partner with local fire departments to educate our youth and give them an edge in future fire service careers.
Here in Brooklyn Park, we have had a post since 2008. We are actively seeking youth who may be interested in a career in the fire service. As an Explorer, you will receive a uniform, your own gear and locker, attend meetings twice a month and have the opportunity to attend regular department training’s with the firefighters.
As a part of the Explorer program, you will also have the opportunity to do ride-alongs with the crew during daytime hours.
A program priority is to recruit eligible Fire Explorers to become reserve or paid on-call firefighters.
What we do
Emphasis at meetings includes a modified Firefighter I course. In addition to becoming CPR certified, Fire Explorers also have the opportunity to attend first responder and hazardous materials training. Following orientation and a probationary period, Fire Explorers may take a competency exam, which enables them to respond and assist crews while gaining valuable experience.
When we meet
Fire Explorer meetings take place the 1st and 3rd Monday evening of each month with the exception of holidays and special events.
Competing at the State Fair
The Fire Explorers have unique training events throughout the year.
- The Minnesota State Fair is one of the biggest events allowing competition between various explorer posts throughout Minnesota.
- Another event is the tour of Hennepin County Dispatch. The tour shows Explorers the process of emergency calls starting from the initial 911 call to the end of an emergency situation from a viewpoint of a large-volume county call center.
- We also do many public education events such as:
- Tater Daze
- National Night Out
- Fire Department Open Houses
To see updates and events we have participated in please follow us on Facebook.
Training provided to fire explorers
- Classroom training in Firefighter I and II, First Responder, Hazmat Ops
- Hands-on and tactical training to enhance skills
- Attend regular Fire Department training
- Possibly would respond to fire calls with assigned station