This COVID-19 Community Relief Grant Program from the city of Brooklyn Park is available to provide support to households, businesses, schools and nonprofit organizations for COVID-related expenses and loss of income.
A waitlist is available for households, businesses, schools and nonprofits. Waitlist submissions close September 30.
Eligible expenses are any additional costs due to COVID-19, including but not limited to:
- Increased childcare, including a distance tutor and/or out-of-school time
- COVID-19 related medical expenses
- Increased housing costs (water and sewer bills, electrical bills, heating and cooling)
- Caring for people who have COVID-19
- Increased food costs (from loss of food from other sources)
- Funerals for COVID-19 deaths
- Public health and sanitation (safety products, setting up COVID-19 safe spaces)
- Setting up remote work and adult education (additional technology, internet or workspaces)
- Distance learning (additional technology, internet or workspaces)
- Rent and mortgage payments are eligible ONLY IF the household can prove with documentation that it has experienced loss of income
- Business operations ONLY IF the business proves revenue loss due to COVID-19
- Services provided to the community by nonprofit organizations and schools in response to COVID-19
Applicants are encouraged to apply if they can clearly demonstrate financial impacts due to COVID-19 between March 1 and November 1, 2020. All funds must be expended by November 1, 2020.
Residents / Households waitlist
Brooklyn Park households are eligible to receive up to $1,500 in COVID-19 relief dollars if applicants can provide the information below. A household is eligible if its income is below the following limits:
- $75,000 for single person households
- $125,000 for heads of household (typically single parents)
- $150,000 for married couples filing taxes jointly
For questions or to complete the application via phone, please contact Sarah Abe at email@example.com or 763-493-8089.
Para completar la solicitud en español, haga clic aquí:
Solicitud en Español >
Si tiene alguna pregunta, puede comunicarse con Brenda Morales al firstname.lastname@example.org o 763-315-8466.
Businesses must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Be a “for-profit” business or a nonprofit that does not obtain revenue solely from donations
- Employ 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTEs).
- Located in Brooklyn Park and in operation since March 1, 2020.
- Be registered and in good standing with the Minnesota Secretary of State
Individual contractors, sole proprietors, businesses without employees, home-based and microbusinesses may apply for up to $15,000. For more information on funding awards please review the RFP above.
Businesses must show a loss of revenue due to COVID-19. They must also show how they will spend any granted funds on eligible expenses. The expense can be any standard operating expense or additional COVID-19 related cost such as:
- Current payroll obligations (may not include employees who have been laid off)
- Lease or mortgage payments
- Accounts payable
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as masks for employees and customers
- Facility improvements meant to provide protection to customers and employees (ex. plexiglass at register, hand sanitizer dispensers, etc.)
- Other critical business needs and expenses that can’t be paid as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic
Nonprofit organizations and schools waitlist
Both nonprofit organizations and schools are eligible for this program. The Federal requirements for CARES Act funding state that nonprofit organizations must regrant funds to individuals or provide services based on the eligible expenses above. Administrative costs are eligible. Preference will go to applications that submit proof of prior expenses.
Applicants must be a registered nonprofit in good standing with the Secretary of State and provide existing services in Brooklyn Park. Funding to schools will be based on the need, amount of funds available, and documentation presented in the application.
For more information on available funding, please review the RFP above.
City staff are happy to help you with your application!
If you are a household or non-profit, please contact Sarah Abe at email@example.com or 763-493-8089.
If you are a business, please contact Daniela Lorenz at Daniela.firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-280-9491.
Si usted necesita esta información en español: Brenda Morales, 763-315-8466
Yog koj xav kom txhais rau lu Hmoob, hu: Xai Vue, 763-493-8174
If you need this information in another language or alternative format: Josie Shardlow, 763-493-8388