In 2011, the Brooklyn Park City Council adopted a Deer Management Plan that addresses concerns about the number of white-tailed deer in the community.
The plan balances deer population with their biological habitat and the tolerance level of residents.
The plan is for seven areas to be hunted again this fall, and the areas include:
- Northwoods Park
- Regent and Rush Creek Regional Trail
- Environmental Nature Area
- Izaak Walton/Banfill Island
- West Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park
- Brookdale Park
- Palmer Lake Nature Area
The controlled hunt dates and locations are as follows:
- September 28, 29 and 30 – all locations
- October 26, 27 and 28 – all locations
- November 9, 10 and 11 – all locations
You may wonder why this is necessary. Here are the facts:
- Since the hunt was implemented in 2011, there has been a reduction of deer related car accidents from 105 in 2011 to 48 in 2018.
- When numbers are beyond carrying capacity, deer will feed on trees, shrubs and plants in residential areas.
- The hunt will be conducted by Metro Bowhunters Resource Base (MBRB), a group that has managed hunts since 1995. Hunters, many of whom are from Brooklyn Park, are selected through a computerized lottery system. Only these permitted hunters are allowed to participate.
Application process for hunters:
The Recreation and Parks Department works in partnership with Three Rivers Park District and a consortium of seven suburban communities to determine the herd count and contracts with the Metro Bowhunters Resource Base (MBRB) to conduct its annual controlled deer hunt. The MBRB coordinates and manages the hunter’s application process, which includes a criminal background check.
Hunters are selected through a drawing of the MBRB members. To become a member and or a volunteer hunter you need to sign up by July 31 via the MBRB website. Hunt positions are drawn on August 15 so the deadline for hunters to sign up for hunts is midnight on August 14.
Questions or concerns regarding the hunt can be directed to Recreation and Parks Director Jody Yungers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.