The city of Brooklyn Park is holding a special election for the Office of Mayor in 2021.
Affidavits of candidacy and nominating petitions will be accepted by the City Clerk at Brooklyn Park City Hall, 5200 85th Avenue North, from 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 2, 2021, to 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 16, 2021, for a special election to be held on April 13, 2021 if no more than two candidates file for the vacancy. If more than two candidates file for the vacancy, the Special Primary Election will be held on April 13, 2021 and the Special Election will be held on August 10, 2021. The Special Election will be held for one (1) candidate to fill the office of Mayor for an unexpired term to expire on December 31, 2022.
The Candidate filing period is February 2–February 16, 2021. Nominating Petitions for the Mayor position shall be signed by 75 registered voters from the city. The petitions and a $75.00 filing fee will be accepted in accordance with Section 4.06 of the City Charter. Petitions can be withdrawn up to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 18, 2021.
Any questions call City Clerk Devin Montero, 763-493-8180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate Packets will be available beginning January 22, 2021.
Filing in Person
- Call the City Clerk at 763-493-8180 for an appointment between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, at City Hall.
- Make sure your nomination petitions and Affidavit of Candidacy are complete and have been signed in the presence of a notary.
- There is a $75.00 candidate filing fee payable by cash or check.
- If you want the City Clerk to notarize the documents, complete all but the signature on the Affidavit of Candidacy and complete all but the signatures on the nomination petitions. Your documents must be signed in front of the City Clerk if the Clerk is notarizing them.
- Please wear a protective mask and bring a pen.
- The filing process will be done at a safe distance.
- The City Clerk will collect the Affidavit of Candidacy, Nomination Petitions and $75.00 filing fee, (payable by cash or check). The City Clerk will review the documents to make sure they are complete.
- The City Clerk will notarize the documents if needed. The notary fee is $5.00 per document, payable by cash or check.
- The City Clerk will verify that the 75 signatures are registered voters from the city. The City Clerk will notify you if the nomination petitions are valid with 75 signatures of registered voters or if you need additional signatures.
Filing by Mail
- Download the Candidate Packet or pick up a packet at City Hall
- Call the city clerk at 763-493-8183 to go over the Candidate Packet.
- Mail the notarized completed Nomination Petitions, notarized completed Affidavit of Candidacy and filing fee ($75) to the City Clerk, Attention: Special Election, 5200 85th Avenue North Brooklyn Park, MN 55443. All documents and fees must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 16, 2021.
- The City Clerk will notify the candidate if the notarized completed Nomination Petitions, notarized completed Affidavit of Candidacy received are valid and if the candidate qualifies to have their name placed on the ballot.
|Candidate name||Campaign phone #||Campaign email||Campaign website|
|Yelena S. Kurdyumovaemail@example.com||vote4yelenakurdyumova.com|