Text Size


Connect to City Utilities

When is a utility tap permit required?

An utility tap permit is required when a contractor wants to connect to an existing city utility, i.e. sanitary sewer, water or storm sewer.

Utility tap permits are not required for connecting to existing stubbed utilities, however, a sewer and water permit from the Building Inspections Division is required.

Who may apply for a utility tap permit?

A bonded and insured contractor who will be performing the utility tap.

Applying for a permit

  1. Download the permit application or stop by City Hall and get an application at the Engineering Division counter.
  2. Construction plans signed by a professional engineer are required for utility tap connections for a planned commercial building. This is typically the civil or site plan drawing.

Requirements for utility tap connections

Tap Requirement
Storm Sewer Core-drill connection
Watermain Wet tap
Sanitary Sewer Core-drill and outside drop or intraflow inside drop


Insurance and bonding requirements

These requirements are detailed in the permit application packet:

  • Bond requirement: $5000 for work within the City of Brooklyn Park right of way
  • Insurance requirement: general liability/business auto - $1,500,000 and workers compensation

Permit fees

Permit Fee
Utility tap $150.00 each tap
Street cut $85.00 each cut
Curb cut $85.00 each cut


Excavator and Operators Notice and Minnesota State Law information

View the Excavator and Operators Notice and Minnesota State Law Chapter 216D.03 to 216D.07 document here.

Contact us

City Hall

5200 85th Ave. N.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
View map and directions to City Hall


Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone and email

Craig Runnakko, P.E.
Construction Engineer
Email Craig Runnakko

close (X)