Get a behind the scenes look and understanding of how your police department works.
What is the Brooklyn Park Police Citizens Academy?
Citizens Academy is a way to teach and show everyday folks how the Brooklyn Park Police Department works on a daily basis.
Graduates will receive a certificate of completion.
- A 10-week course that meets one night per week for 2.5 hours
- Two sessions are held each year, one in the spring and one in the fall.
- Spring session: Tuesdays, February 5 to April 9, 2019
- Fall session: Thursdays, September 12 to November 14, 2019
- Use of force: when can officers use force in a situation
- Police training
- Canine program
- Crime analysis
- Investigations—follow a homicide case from Brooklyn Park
- Hands-on simulator “shoot, don’t shoot” scenarios
- Drug investigations
- and much, more…
Who can join the academy program?
- Residents of Brooklyn Park
- People who work in Brooklyn Park
- Students going to school in Brooklyn Park
- Must be 18 or older
- Must pass a background check
- No felony convictions will be accepted
- No misdemeanor convictions in the last 2 years will be accepted
- 30 people maximum per academy
Learn directly from the officers and staff who work in the Brooklyn Park Police Department. Topics may be lead by:
- Chief of Police
- Crime Prevention Specialists
- Patrol Officers
Our instructors use a variety of methods to help you learn, including:
- Hands-on exercises
There is no cost to participate in this program.
Applying for the academy program
- Download the application (PDF) >
- Call 763-493-8209 to have an application mailed to you
- Stop in at the Police Department to fill out an application