Every 10 years the U.S. Census Bureau counts every resident in the United States. The next Census is April 1, 2020.
Why is the 2020 Census important for Brooklyn Park?
Brooklyn Park is home to many historically under-counted populations. Getting a complete count of our residents is important since we only get this chance once every 10 years.
Census data is used for:
- Representation: Census data determines the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as the size of state and local voting districts. Minnesota is at risk of losing a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Funding: Census data guides approximately $589 billion in federal spending allocated to local communities each year, including more than $15 billion distributed to Minnesota communities. Even one missed person could mean forfeiting $28,000 in funding for the next ten years.
- Planning: Census data helps decision-makers plan transportation, schools, hospitals, senior centers, emergency services and other needs to best serve changing demographics.
- Businesses: Census data assists businesses in investing in the community including locating businesses, factories and stores, recruiting employees and conducting market research.
Commit to be counted
Sign up below to receive a reminder when Census forms are available to be completed.
Join the coalition
The cities of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center have formed the Brooklyns Census 2020 Coalition to inform, energize and strategize with our community partners to get a complete count of the Brooklyns.
Brooklyns Count Census Rally
All are welcome to attend the Brooklyns Count Census Rally! No RSVP necessary
- Enjoy food and music showcasing the Brooklyns’ cultural diversity
- Hear from inspiring speakers including Lt. Governor Flanagan, Hennepin County Commissioner Fernando, Mayor Lunde and Mayor Elliott
- Have fun learning about the Census and how you can volunteer to make sure the Brooklyns Count!
Brooklyn Park Community Activity Center (Gardenview Room)
5600 85th Ave N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
Saturday, March 28
Contact Brenda by phone at 763-315-8466 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work for the Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring for a variety of positions to help with the 2020 Census. To be eligible, you must be 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number and be a U.S. citizen. The pay rate for a census taker position in Hennepin County is $20 per hour.
To learn more or apply, visit: https://census.gov/jobs.
Spread the word
Learn more about the 2020 Census and tell your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers.